[Archers] Known World stuff

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 06:21:35 PDT 2012

Greetings, Atlantian Archers.
I have not been on the archery lists much this past year,
but this one really caught my eye.
1.       First off, I think we need to remember our history
as we go forward in the planning for a known world championship. The discussions
on this whole topic really got going a long time ago, on the archers’ list, in
the fall of 2010. I recall that it was Fen and I that first wrote and were soon
joined by all the others of you who were unhappy with the archery experience at
Pennsic. The motivation for running a shoot parallel but different from the “champions’
team” was plain and simple unhappiness with the status quo. Every year at
Pennsic archers from all over the known world gathered and wanted to play their
game and compete against each other, compete against archers from all across
the kingdoms. We watched as the Thrown Weapons folks had a ton of fun running
their championships and we wondered, why can’t archers have the same fun? Yet,
year after year, the Mid and East controlled everything and severely limited
the number of Atlantians that could shoot the champions team war point. Most
really good Atlantian archers were left shooting only the populace targets day
after day. Not much fun and not happy. There was just horrendous bad karma surrounding
the whole champions shoot. So bad that it was totally turning off many of
Atlantia’s best archers from participating at all - - some didn’t even take
their bows to Pennsic! So in the fall/winter of 2010, since we had no control
over the official Pennsic stuff, we all decided to put on our own shoot. At
that time, I was one of the ones in favor of making this “extra shoot” a Known
World Archery Championship. It made sense to me that since we were all at
Pennsic and since many archers already traveled for long distances to be there,
that it was our best shot for a real known world competition. But in the
discussions on the list, most Atlantians wanted a non-exclusive, relatively
non-competitive, shoot.  There was just a
strong sense of “enough with the competition already.”  So that’s what we did, we decided to hold an
open, fun, not particularly competitive shoot (although there were scorecards
and prizes), and we called it St. Sebastian’s Shoot (thanks, Siegfried!) and purposefully
left out any wording about championship or known world. The ulterior motives
were to (a) show the known world what kind of wonderful novelty shoot Atlantia
could put on (b) contribute to Pennsic archery in a positive way (c)
demonstrate that it is possible to run 150 or more people through a novelty
shoot in one day, as a way to try to convince the powers-that-be to open up the
“champions’ team” to a larger size so more Atlantians could shoot, and (d)to
have fun putting on a shoot together.  So
for two Pennsics we have put on St. Sebastian’s Shoot, with great success as
measured by the smiles, the children, the amazing targets, the “thank-you” comments,
and the sense of happiness and camaraderie on the archery range. I have been
really proud to be an Atlantian Archer, as I’m sure many of you have been, too.
All the other stuff has somehow become moot. I felt no compunction to do any
other shooting, nor any bad karma during my vacation.
2.       Which leads me to the present discussions. After
strongly opposing any mention of “known world” or “championship” for our big
Pennsic shoot, which lead to the St. Sebastian’s Shoot and its focus on
inclusiveness, suddenly there was a new push in 2011 for just that very thing,
an ultra-competitve known world archery championship! So we then decided on the
archers’ list that it is a big world and there should be room for everything. I
think it was said there should be room for St. Sebastian’s on the range and for
cog’s dog-and-pony show at the castle, too - - the more archery the merrier! And
that’s pretty much where things were left off. After some discussion of a
symposium, a stand-alone archery event, it dwindled. I do think it is most
sensible to attach any “known world” event to Pennsic, just the most logical
choice.
3.       That said, the present talk right now is of a
known world championship consisting of another novelty, multi-target shoot with
archers keeping their own score and then a shootout at the end. I am afraid we are
reinventing the wheel here. But much more troubling to me, as someone who has
worked hard on the two St. Sebastian’s Shoots, is the revelation in the new
posting that somehow, unilaterally, St. Sebastian’s Shoot has gotten scrapped
by the authorities. The East has been informed that we do not want to hold St.
Sebastian’s next year? Was there a consensus on this? Whose decision is this to
make? Janyn? I disagree that the “original” intent was to hand off the shoot to
other kingdoms. That was never in my understanding of it. Yes, it is great if
other kingdoms wanted to do that, but there was also quite a bit of, this is
Atlantia’s baby and we like it that way.
4.       As a public spectacle, cog’s dog-and-pony show ,
I absolutely love- adore! - the idea of a shootout in front of the castle. But
I have seen the jockeying and cheating that goes on and I would say, do not
have a pre-shootout qualifier multi-target shoot-at-your-own-pace event to pick
teams.  Have any of you watched the way
they do things at Thrown Weapons? Four competitors in front of four targets.
Two throws and you rotate. Repeat. When those four are done, bring on the next
four. Marshals score the hits. It is very efficient, very public, very fun. If
you really have a crowd of archers to run through in a very small amount of
time, it could be even more efficient if you only got two or three arrows,
period. You could have four archers at a time shooting at each of four
identical targets. Up and out. (Seen Brave?) Then take the top scorers and have
your shootout. All public, all with a crowd. And we absolutely could pull this
off in 2013. It’s just not that complicated – that is the beauty of it. Getting
on the battlefield schedule is the hardest part.
5.       This idea that you can call for targets from
each kingdom is one that has been bandied about endlessly. But as every MIC who
has tried it knows, it does not work. How many times have “target competitions”
been announced -- you know, bring your best target and we will let the populace
vote on their favorite -- only to have no targets show up? I won one of those
once because mine was the only target. Someone from the East actually said, at
Pennsic, that the East would do like to that next year for a novelty shoot at
Pennsic.  She actually said,”we have a
great idea, everybody else will bring the targets and the people will vote and
we will give prizes but not have to do the work !” It told her we call it the
lazy MIC shoot. Good luck with that. And even if you can get targets from every
corner of the earth, who is to put a cohesive shoot together out of all the
orphan targets?
6.       Anyway, I am writing for several reasons. One, I
hate to see Atlantia walk away from St. Sebastian’s Shoot, especially without
some kind of public forum on that choice. Two, I like the public shootout as a
separate stand-alone Pennsic event. Three, I just want to remind everyone of
all that has led up to this point in time.

Nuala