[Archers] Known World Archery Championship

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 16:41:51 PDT 2012

Good evening everyone, now that we are back from Pennsic and hopefully well
rested I wanted to take a minute to discuss something with you. Around this
time last year THL Christophe and I started a discussion about trying to
hold the first known world archery championship. Our thoughts were that
Pennsic would be the most opportune place because we could capitalize on all
of the archers there from the known world. I wanted to start this discussion
now because I firmly believe that if we start now we will not be ready for
Pennsic next year but we could target 2014. Also there is no way myself or
even a few of us could pull this off alone. If COG is willing I would throw
my hat and hopefully his into the ring to lead this event. With that said,
we would need a lead also for each kingdom for archery related items, an
autocrat like lead to help with communications and inter-kingdom discussions
and I'm thinking an exchequer like lead because I'm thinking we would want
to charge a small fee if we want to get some very nice prizes. If not we
could drop this last position. In addition we would need volunteers again to
help marshal and make some targets.

Unlike St. Sebastian's, I was thinking that each of the participating
kingdoms could make 2 or 3 targets to enter into the competition. This part
is still fuzzy but I was thinking that we could hold basically eliminations
by the way of an all day shoot like St. Sebastian's to pair the teams down
to a final 4. The whole point of this would then be to have a shoot off of
those final 4 teams in front of the populous on the battle field (yes I know
scheduling will suck, that is why we would do this 2 years out), to a final
champion team of the known world. Team sizes would be 18 -24 and this would
be a total points competition. This part is also fuzzy still but I was
thinking that we could make it interesting by making each of the team
positions cover GBE, BE, BOWMAN, MARKSMAN, etc.

I have been mentioning this to Lord Godric of the East and this year while
at the range at Pennsic, I overheard him talking with his deputy about
trying to start communications about this event. I would love for Atlantia
to pull this off but I need to know how you all feel and if you're  up to
something of this level? I don't believe for a minute that the East will
pull this together for next year since they can't seem to even run the St.
Sebastian's as it should be, but I would hate to lose this shoot to someone
else because we didn't act.

So, that is that. I just wanted to start the discussion again over the fall
and winter months to see where our excitement level is? If we decide to
proceed I will get word to Godric and we would need to form the core team
quickly. That way we could start to get the word out to the other Kingdoms
and try to get the logistics in place to lay the foundation. I told the East
that we did not want to run St. Sebastian's next year because we wanted to
move up to this event. In all honesty the intent of St. Sebastian's was that
Atlantia would run it the first year and hand it off to the mid or east to
run it next and then rotate through so no Kingdom had to repeatedly run it.
I took it back this year because there was little interest from the east or
others to run it at the level we are used too. I will still probe the East
later this year to find out what is happening with the novelty shoot for
Pennsic next year. We can worry about that later..