[Archers] Youth Target Archery Marshal Program

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Nov 19 08:26:14 PST 2012

Just to clarify here because Cameron's statement, perhaps, points to a
different understanding of Janyn's statement.

The age that was lowered, was for a Youth to become a Marshal.   It has
nothing to do with 'being on the range'.

A youth at any age (7, 3, heck 6 months), can be on the age and shooting
as long as a marshal feels safe about it.  And that can be with, or
without, their parents being present.  Again, it's all a judgement call
of the marshal.

I've known 5 year olds who I trust on the range without their parents.
And I've known 15 year olds, who I want their parent standing right next
to them.

Siegfried

On 11/19/12 10:02 AM, Cameron deGrey wrote:
> Agreed! 'Ours' isn't a parenting issue, but a marshaling duty. 'Our'
> lowering the age doesn't allow the parents/guardians to abdicate their
> responsibility, it just means we can get them on the range. SCA lawas
> already deal with minors being alone on site.
>
> Good move.
>
> YIS
>
> Cameron
>

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM, <jaynardone at comcast.net
> <mailto:jaynardone at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Good morning everyone, after consultation and discussions with the
>     EM and the King, I was granted permission to lower the minimum age
>     for our Youth Target Archery program from the current 15 years old,
>     to 13 years old. I know there was discussion in the past about this
>     minimum age and this was why it was set to 15. My obserevations this
>     year show that we have had no one in the program as of yet and I
>     feel it is because the age range is set too high. With that small of
>     a window, many youth are leaving the SCA to do real life activities
>     as their lives become more busy. I strongly feel that widening the
>     window gives us more chance to work with and possibly retain some of
>     our youth. I have worked with 2 youth this year that are 13 and I
>     know of a few other marshals that have approached me with youth in
>     their care that are also 13 or so that would make wonderful candidates.
>

>     I dont think any of us want this to turn into a babysitting service
>     or select youth that are not mature enough. This is where the
>     sponsoring marshal comes into play. Those youth nominations will be
>     based on your judgement of their maturity and character. As these
>     youth will never be on the range alone anyway, I dont see any issues
>     going forward. I think this is an important program to assure that
>     our ranks are filled with the best Atlantia can provide. Afterall,
>     the youth are our future!
>

>     In Service,
>

>     Janyn

Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia