[Archers] more on the Merry Rose

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:35:34 PDT 2012

M'Lady Lorelei and Friends,

Wow! That skull recrection is really bizarre, but way cool. Interesting
to think about what we are doing to our own skeletons, though our bows
are so much lighter than those of the 15th century, and of course we
don't practice as often as we should. In his Archery 101 class at the
last University, Lord Janyn mentioned some injuries like rotor cuff
problems.

I have a video showing an English reenactor shooting a high-powered
longbow at maximum distance. He draws to his breast, and then sort of
jumps as the string is released (why I don't know, but that's his
technique). Looks like a great opportunity for a torn ligament or a
herniated disc.

Yours Aye,

Mungo