[Archers] Fw: From the SCA-Announcement list

J. Hughes jphughessr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 09:26:25 PST 2012

Last night I had a long and interesting conversation with Sir Jon about the nobles' use of archery in war. I was pointing out examples of noble use of archery in war that he had not cited in his work.

Godfry de Bouillon wielded a crossbow in 1099 in the First Crusade attack on Jerusalem that made him the first ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Richard the Lionheart was shooting his crossbow at both the siege of Acre and attacking over the beach at Joppa. The examples of lesser knights and nobles shooting archery are endless. Even the Robin Hood legends are in part based on a crossbow wielding Baron and knight, FitzWaren, who took to the greenwood when he fell afoul of King John. FitzWaren was one of the signers of Magna Carta.

Charles