[Archers] Mine at Pennsic

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Mar 5 06:55:19 PST 2012

Noble friends,

A couple of weeks back we were discussing the old archery range at
Pennsic and the question of whether the hill was riddled with collapsing
tunnels. For what it is worth, here is the summary of my recent researches:

Other than my own observation of the subsidance at Pennsic 37, I am
still unable to confirm the existence of a mine beneath the hill. That
said, I did some searching for resources on coal mining and Butler
County, and was overwhelmed by the hundreds of mines that exist/existed
there. The names are recorded in a huge database, with is not set up for
searching by location, and each entry would have to be examined for
clues to its location (Worth Township, would probably the key). That
said, I found the USGS Topographic map for the Porterville quadrangle,
which just barely includes the Coopers Lake area. No mines are indicated
on the hill itself (but USGS maps only indicate visible works, ruins,
tunnel adits or shafts). The west side of our hill has been strip mined
at some time in the past. An additional played-out strip mine exists
between the freeway and the hill, probably part of the far north parking
area. If you are familiar with coal mining, you may recall that
underground mines often take coal from seams in galleries, leaving large
pillars to hold up the earth above the gallery and wasting a lot of
valuable coal. Many areas were later strip mined to get at this coal
that had been bypassed by underground mining. The presence of slumps on
the former main archery field, and strip mining within a 1/2 mile or so
on either side strongly suggest this hill might have hidden tunnels
beneath it. There are literally dozens of strip mines or reclaimed areas
shown on the Porterville quad map around Coopers Lake, including huge
works to the north and south of Rt. 422 along Muddy Creek. The whole
Butler area was once a major coal producer, and some coal is still being
recovered in the area. If I could find a USGS or state division of mines
publication on coal or minerals in Butler County, I might be able to
confirm this, and such pubs do exist, though not online or in my library.

In addition, there is an old railroad grade which crosses the Coopers
Lake property. It runs east-west just to the north of the creek, skirts
the southern edge of Coopers Lake itself, then turns due south, crossing
422 on the west side of the Freeway. I suspect it may be close to our
current archery range. I would not be surprised if there was a spur up
to our former archery range area a long time ago to reach a coal loader,
but if so, it has been obscured by later development or farming of the
main site. So far, I haven't found any more information on this
railroad, but it wouldn't be too hard to uncover if I had the time.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier
(aka Garth Groff, Amateur Industrial Historian)