[Archers] Duties and responsibilities of Regional Deputy Marshals.

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 09:53:00 PDT 2012

Greetings marshals.

I've had several inquiries into what exactly the responsibilities are for being Regional Archery Marshals.  Here's how I understand it.  They are the eyes and ears of the DEM for your area.  If there are local issues, they should first be brought to the Regional before moving up the chain.  Truthfully, we haven't followed this closely but I'd like it to be so.  I know Janyn is working on more formally establishing responsibilities for the Regional Marshals, but that will come later.

Ideally, the Canton Marshal answers to the Baronial Marshal, who answers to the Regional Marsha,l who answers to the Kingdom Marshal and/or the Emergency DEM.  The DEM of course answers to the Kingdom Earl Marshal and Society Marshal for their particular discipline.

If there is a serious issue that needs to be settled at a particular shoot, the highest ranking archery official would have the last word.  (Working in conjunction with the Autocrat and Event MiC as the case may be.)

Regional marshals can also act in the DEM's stead to hand out badges and settle disputes.

We haven't really delegated many more responsibilities beyond that, but I think things will change soon.  The Kingdom is too big to be served well by one person.

In an ideal world, the Regional Marshals should:

Have several years of practice experience in marshaling and running archery, and/or service to the archery community.
Be able to communicate well with both the spoken and written word, and do so in a timely fashion, as required for reporting purposes.
Be fully acquainted with all aspects of our discipline.
Be familiar with the Kingdom laws and practices as they apply to archery and the Marshaling community.
Promote archery in their Region and encourage others to do the same.
Attend events across the Region.  (No, not all of them, but a fair amount.)

I think that's a good start.  Remember, Regional Marshals serve at the behest of the Deputy Earl Marshal.

Think it over and send me your note of intent, with a list of your qualifications.

Thank you!

Lorelei Greenleafe