[Archers] Interest to capitalize on

Jessica Mulligan slaoen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 08:50:47 PDT 2012

Of course it is.  :)  How many of us read/watched Robin Hood books/movies as children?  When I took my daughter, Robin (can you guess what stories I liked as a kid?), to see Brave she was so excited because "she shoots a bow, like me!"  Growing up, I was either shooting while pretending to be Robin Hood, or swordfighting while pretending to be Madmartigan.  If I had known about the SCA back then I would have talked to my parents about joining.

I think the biggest problem is advertisement.  There is interest to be capitalized on, but we need to reach young people, and their parents.  I didn't know the SCA did target archery until I reluctantly agreed to attend an event at which my coworker was doing heavy fighting.  Up until then, the only thing I had ever heard about the SCA was that they did heavy fighting, and I only heard about that by word of mouth from heavy fighters.

We get a lot of newcomers who are interested in archery out at Wolfhou.  I'm not sure how many of them have been inspired by recent movies though.  The most common thing I hear is, "I've always wanted to try archery, but never had the chance."

Sanada Katsumi