[Archers] Combat Archer Tourney ??

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Fri Jul 13 19:22:27 PDT 2012

Here are a couple of ideas that fit in the theme of combat archery. That
would mean attempting to replicate conditions on a battle field.

1 - Static - Archers must hit a one gallon milk jug on a post at some
distance, i.e. 10 - 20 yards, limited number of shafts.  (We used this
when Logan limited CA kills to face shots only.)
2 - Moving and shooting - There are a series of pavaises, shields or
structures to hide behind and/or shoot from that the archers must run to
and shoot from.  When we did this at the Elkin castle site, and having
the use of a cinder block building, the archers had to shoot 2 shafts
out a door, run to a window and shoot 2 shafts, to the next window 2
shafts, then another door for final 2 shafts.  In our case the targets
were one gallon milk jugs.
3 - Archer must shoot while being jostled in a shield wall - Archers
shoot at a target while a marshal (?) stands slightly ahead and off to
one side throwing tennis balls at the archer to distract them.  THE
MARSHAL IS NOT THE TARGET!  Limited number of shafts.  If the archer
gets hit they continue shooting until their shafts are all shot, i.e. 6
shafts.
4 - Shooting while avoiding being killed - Same as above but if the
archer is "killed" (hit with a tennis ball) they are dead and must stop
shooting.  Limited number of shafts.  The objective is to get all the
shafts off with a good score without being "killed".
5 - Shoot a heavy - An armored heavy walks a zig zag course from a
distance towards the archer.  As they walk the archer trys to shoot them
scoring "kill" shots.  Limited number of shafts.
6 - Advancing heavy - Archer and heavy start about 20 (?) yards apart.
On LAY ON the heavy can begin to advance on the archer.  The archer must
"kill" the heavy before the heavy "kills" the archer.  Heavy is using
sword and shield which they can "hide" behind.
7 - CA duel - Two CAs start about 20 yards apart.  On LAY ON they begin
advancing towards each other or navigating to improve their position.
The objective is to "kill" your opponent before they "kill" you.

As a former combat archer, for me the challenge for a combat archer is
to hit what you want while being jostled about by the heavies on your
side, being attacked by others trying to kill you, and shooting logs out
of an underpowered bow.  I try to design shoots that replicate these
conditions.  Of course all archers participating have to wear the gear
that makes shooting a bow difficult, helmet and gauntlets.  The rest of
the armor is not required unless you have heavies or someone else trying
to actually hit them with ratan or other combat archers firing back.

That's seven that come to mind right now.  Sounds like fun.  Be sure to
let us all know how it turned out.

cog