[Archers] Fwd: Crossbows: To string or not to string?

Janyn Fletcher janynfletcher at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 07:35:09 PDT 2012

Rycherd, this is a much discussed topic in the SCA and the mundane world.
The quick and simple answer is that with modern materials (which most of our
prods are made from) there is no determent to keeping your bow strung. Now
with a hand bow there is absolutely no reason to leave it strung so my
opinion is to unstring it for transport, etc. Crossbows are a bit more
difficult to do and we have studied this with the crossbows that Baron Mors
builds for most of us in the Kingdom. He has crossbows that have been strung
along with mine now for over 6 years that show no reduced poundage's even
after all this time. So the quick answer is no, there is no reason to
unstring the crossbow repeatedly.

In Service

Janyn Fletcher