[Archers] my take

Charles Sprouse sprousecp at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 07:16:35 PST 2012

I think everything said back and forth here have been good points, but I have to agree with a couple people more directly.  The A&S aspect of things should not be something we HAVE to do to get a peerage.  Not that I am knocking that side, in fact I personally am fairly interested in that, and have already made my own crossbow and make my own bolts, quiver, etc.  That being said, not every archer WANTS to do that, nor should they have to.  To become a Laurel, yes they would and should have to get into the A&S/history side of things, and to be a pelican, they would and should have to delve deep into the service side of the archery community.  But the Chivalry, as has been noted already by others, get recognized primarily for their pure ability at their 'profession'.  Yes, they have their chivalric traits they are supposed to exemplify, but so would most archers at the same level of our 'profession'.  Their are knights who have not built a thing,
 nevert submitted an A&S entry, never ran an event.  They are knights because they are VERY good at what they do and somebody decided that they personified what 'we' should all be striving for and that is great.  I am not taking anything away from these knights, they deserve what they have gotten.  But to translate that into our profession nothing exists to honor or recognize those who are simply VERY good at what they do and that personify what we should all be striving for in OUR community.  A good archer who excels at these other things, as Seamus, Colum, Mors, Siegfried, Godai, Janyn, Jonathas, etc. do can very well get recognized as a Laurel or Pelican as warrants, but I still come back to the fact that this would be recognizing them not for their skill as an archer, but for their skill at bowmaking, leatherwork, historical research, service, etc.  What about their pure ability?  Why is that not deserving of recognition in its own right?

Again, just the two cents of someone who is currently 'unaffected' by this discussion/decision since I am admittedly not there yet, but I do see so many who are there and it just doesn't seem right.

Karl von Konigsberg