[Archers] Archery at YMIR, wow

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 18:14:17 PST 2012

I'm exhausted.  :-)  It's a good kind of a feeling, since there were more than 60 people who came to the archery range today.  I'm sure it's at least doubled the amount we've had in the past!  Not only that, but we had 14 kids shooting, as well as a few teens, and a bunch of new-comers.

I'd like to send my thanks to Stella di Lodi from the Canton of Middlegate - our newest MiT, and Nick DeGan from Black Diamond and Einarr from the Canton of Attillium for their tireless help in running the range today.  These MiTs did a fantastic job!!

I would also like to thank Her Majesty for sponsoring and helping with the Queens Shoot.  It was a blast.  We had a friend or foe target about 30 feet out.  There were "gems" buried in the "mountain", worth different points.  The higher scoring gems were closer to the top of the mountain where Her Majesties symbol rested.  Naturally you received negative points if you hit her symbol.  We did this three times, and the highest scoring  4 archers had a shoot-out with three arrows at a post about 100 yards out.  They shot two arrows to range in, then selected a slip of paper from Her Majesties hand which contained the description of a shooting handicap.

The four finals were: Christophe of Grey, Akira from I don't know where but he shoots pretty good, Tommie from Windmaster's Hill who is new to the SCA but used to bow hunt and he's really good, AND Damian le Archer who I believe is from Windmaster's Hill as well.

Christophe's handicap was facing away from the target and shooting by twisting around behind him for his last arrow.  Tommie had to shoot with her Majesties (left handed) bow.  Damian had to aim, then shut his eyes before he released.  Akira had to shoot from his knees (with a long bow).  It was a crowd-pleaser.  The archer who came closest to the wand was Akira who won the Queen's Shoot.  Damian had the highest score, and received the Boar's Tooth that we've started handing off to the winner of the Ymir prize shoot.

An earlier prize shoot was won by Christoph of Grey, and Tommie of WMH taking second place and William of Scarborough from Sacred Stone coming in third.

The weather was amazing and a good time was had by all.  Happy Shooting!

Your very tired DEM,