[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 18

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 18:46:36 PST 2012

Greetings.

It is not true, as is being said in the heat of the moment, that peerages are denied to all but a few. Chivalry may hold tight to their own peerage, but the Laurelate and the Pelicanate are open to ALL. Many in all the sca disciplines are so rewarded with these types of awards - - just last week (at kasf) a rapier fighter was made a Laurel for his research on period rapier techniques and history, on paper as well as in practice.

More peerages will not necessarily make for more recognition, but will undoubtedly dilute the token collection game further. I do not think the archers nor the rapier fighters are big enough groups to make them peerages, and more small, exclusive groups are not healthy for the sca. Each of these "fourth peerage" oddments, including siege and equestrian, have their own Orders already.

Besides, I do not know any thrown weapons folks who want in on this peerage thing - - they are having way too much fun with their game. Ask around. They do not want anything to do with war points, they hate bureaucracy. Perhaps the archers could pay heed! Be careful what you ask for.
Nuala