[Archers] Recommendation

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 9 05:30:33 PDT 2012

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Her Majesty's post, and other messages on this subject, set me to
thinking about awards this weekend. I see that we have no real fixed
benchmarks for recommending someone for the King's Missiliers or the Yew
Bow. That is probably as it should be. Each candidate is different, and
expresses their excellence in different ways.

So here is what I would consider, in no particular order, and keeping in
mind that some points will be stronger than others in each candidate:

Participation and commitment: Is the candidate a regular participant in
the archery community through their local group's practices, and at
tournaments in at least their regional area? Do they make any of their
own equipment?

Service: Does the candidate contribute to archery by marshaling at
practices, assisting at tournaments, staging a tournament as MIC,
contributing targets, teaching archery in the field, teaching classes on
archery subjects at University, or serving as a higher officer in the
archery program? There is nothing in Her Majesty's comments requiring an
office for an award, and there are lots of other ways a non-officer can
be of service. Staging a tournament can be especially difficult for
someone from a small group, so I wouldn't always expect this, but it
certainly is a plus.

Worthy conduct: Does the candidate show respect to others he/she
interacts with in and out of the archery community? Do they contribute
their knowledge and expertise to the archery community, and to assist
others such as newcomers? Are they honest? Are they respectful of the
rules? Are they complainers?

Scores: Although Her Majesty pointed out that the awards were not
intended to be a test of skills, in a martial sport this is still hard
for us to completely ignore. If the candidate has mastered their chosen
weapon or weapons, and achieved a score worthy of note, that could be a
plus. What is worthy of note? Well that's debatable, but certainly above
our two lowest ranks by my definition.

Comments?

Yours Aye,

Mungo