[Archers] [MR] From the news: Teen shoots dad with bow

Marybeth Lavrakas katrous at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 08:36:21 PDT 2011

On a more period/slightly happier note, just yesterday I was reading an article
that mentioned the English coroner's inquests from the 16th century that
happened b/c people were doing stupid things at the archery range. People
gleaning arrows and getting shot by other archers, or someone telling an archer
"shoot my hat!" while it was on his head makes me glad of our marshals. I still
can't quite picture how someone managed to shoot himself in the head while at
longbow practice, but it happened...

"Archery Practice in Early Tudor England, " by Steven Gunn, in PAST & PRESENT,
no 209, pg 53-81. I can easily email a pdf of the article to anyone who doesn't
have easy access to the journal.

Kateryn Rous