[Archers] challenges

Jonathas Jonathas at RedFoxDen.org
Wed May 11 06:28:59 PDT 2011

On the more serious question of the Main Scores for this Seasonal Challenge
and how they work.

As each individual challenge between two archers might be scored in vastly
different ways with the only similarity being that the lower score is the
winner, a simple "average" is not feasible.  So the score within each
challenge only determines who wins that individual challenge.  For each
archer who has shot a challenge, they will get two points (on the main
Standings page) for winning a challenge, or one point for entering a
challenge.

For Example:
- Cog won the challenge between him and me but has no other challenges to
his name.  Therefore he has 2 points on the Standings page.
- Lorelei has challenged me twice, she won the first and I won the second.
So she has 3 points on the standings page, two for the win and one for the
loss.

Meanwhile I am sitting at the top of the heap, not for great shooting but
because I've been here egging everyone on and trying to get challenges win
or loose. It doesn't so much matter as long as it was fun.  I have a
Standings score of 15, that is with five wins (10 points) and five losses (5
points) a perfect .500 meaning I've done a good job of balancing the
challenges so either side might win.  I'm only in the lead due to the number
of challenges I've egged everyone into.  :P

Yes, someone could game this system and win only 8 challenges to take the
lead, but that means they would need to find eight people who would
willingly take the lose.  I'd hope that most archers would only
accept/answer challenges which are fair enough that they have an even chance
of wining or loosing.  It isn't hard to weight a challenge to the underdog,
then the better archer has to step up their game to pull out a win. (which
makes it fun for both sides)

Of course NOW there is Serena's challenge out there to beat me.... I don't
think she meant shoot a challenge with me and win (cause then I still get a
point too), but rather get out and challenge others so maybe someone will
steal the win from me at the end.  (and I'm ok with that as long as you had
fun with the shooting to get there!)

Get shoot'n (cause I ain't stopp'n)
Jonathas
:D