[Archers] Bardic at SAAD

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Wed May 4 13:02:11 PDT 2011

The stars were bright in the clear night sky, as if twinkling in merriment for
the music that drifted up to them from the Bardic below.  More than 40 people
came to the Bardic at Southern Atlantian Archery Day to share their talent and
make an exceptional event even more noteworthy. Songs, stories, poems, fiddle
playing, recorder, drum, guitar, clapping and most importantly laughter, all
could be heard in the night around the fire.

The competition was stiff and the choice of winners was not easily made.

The fist competition called for the following archery words to be present in a
story or poem: bulls-eye, target, hit, miss, range, sight, arrow, loose, tip,
nock, penetrate, grip, bow, shafts, quiver, hold, prod, prize, string, score,
point, shoot, butt.

First prize went to Thamria HaSofert (Please forgive me if I have mangled your
name.)  Her poem was lovely and as I understand it, a first attempt.  So shy was
she that our Poeta Atlantiae Etienne Le Mons de Anjou was called upon to read
her work.  I hope we see more from you in the future, Mi’ Lady.  You are
talented indeed.

Second prize was given to Etienne Le Mons de Anjou for a beautiful Sestina based
on the Roman Myth of Diana and Actaeon. The documentation was incredible and
worthy of the individual who penned it.

Third prize was tough, as the remaining individuals all had entertaining and
well thought out entries, but the ladies proclaimed that Prod the Phoenix by
Dubhghall mac Donnchaidh be given third place. His was a limerick-style poem
about a Phoenix and some cod.

The Frugal Dubhghall Award, which was the “Best story about how an archer lost
or broke an arrow during the day’s shooting," was awarded to William of
Scarborough.  His SAAD entrance fee for 2012 will be paid by Frugal Dubhghall.
William described how, after breaking two of his arrows as they hit trees in the
woods walk, he discovered that the tips had made their way into the target after
all, despite being separated from the shaft! Like a good archer, he did count
them for score!

Since there were two more pendants to hand out (our autocrat made 3 for the
Frugal Dubhghall Award) we decided to award one to Thomas Brant of Salem who
finally got up the nerve to tell his Archery Word story only after the children
were all a-bed.  Good thing too.  Very creative!!

This leaves one more pendant to give out…and I don’t know who to give it to, so
I ask that you contact me here with your vote for favorite performer from the
Bardic who is not mentioned above. I’ll select the person who receives the most
votes.  Note, you must have been present at the Bardic to vote.

I will attempt to get the poems that were submitted to me on the SAAD website so
that we can share the fun and artistry we experienced.  (With permission from
the authors.)  I’ll send that link out when it is ready.

Until then, thank you for making that Bardic so much fun.  You are all really
amazing.

The Honorable Lady Lorelei Greenleafe