[Archers] rivercane again

Mike Matthews michaelstuart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:12:49 PDT 2011

I've tried to spine test the rivercane shafting, but it comes out
higher than my not-too-accurate homemade spine tester will register.
Making the arrows a few inches longer than my draw length seemed to
help even out the extra spine. I have lately cut some smaller diameter
shoots that should be closer to the spine I'm looking for; the first
set I cut was 3/8 at the small end and very stiff, yet a bit lower in
mass than a comparable sized wooden shaft. I think this particular
cane will need to be around 5/16 diameter to be spined 40-45.

The cane also works really well for atl-atl shafts (as I suspect
bamboo would also), as the place I've been cutting it has some that
grows up to 7 feet long before it branches. It tapers very little over
this length and is very easy to straighten using heat from a plumbing
torch or stove burner.

Eirik

Message: 7