[Archers] Queen's Request

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 17:21:21 PDT 2011

Archers making a showing - Not that it is "real documentation" but you
may recall that in the latest Robin Hood movie the archers often wear
their quivers on the their backs and their bows strung across their
chests.  Personally I don't like a back style quiver.  But I learned,
early on but not early enough, that walking with a side style quiver
while holding a bow uses up both hands, one to steady the quiver and one
to hold the bow.  At Pennsic this presents a serious dilima, no hands to
eat ice cream with!!!  Thus I created a quiver that I use on the range
side style but in transit I tie my bow onto the quiver and sling it on
my back leaving both hands free to totally enjoy the Hershey's ice they
sell at Pennsic (no Colum, not that pink stuff you eat!).  Certainly no
reason any archer could not do same at any event.  Think going to a Ren
Faire and "peace tieing" your bow.  Wearing the Royal Archery or
Atlantian ARchery Champion quivers would also serve as conversation
starters!

Now as for shoots at coronation, above all, make it entertaining for the
non-archers watching.  Simply stated that means be able to score, if
that is an issue, quickly.  Make the shoots interesting and involve the
populace as much as possible, i.e. put colored balloons on the target
and have the populace call out what color to hit.  (Put talcum powder in
the balloons before inflating so when they pop they leave a cloud of
dust.)  I love archery but watching other archers shoot is right up
there with watching my grass grow.  Involve the populace, make it
interesting to them and keep it moving and you will hook the populace
into coming out to the archery range to give it a go.  I say this from
over 30 years of doing public seminars and working with the public.
Simply stated, if they are not interested because what they are watching
is not interesting to them, and DO NOT assume what you are doing will be
interesting to them, they will move on.

cog