[Archers] Xbow Griefing

jeff van de vaarst vaarstj at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:24:52 PDT 2011

Fen,

I couldn't have said it better.  When you on, the bow doesn't matter, it's who's shooting.

If my count is correct, the top ten was a 5 5 split.

Ghijskijn

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:20:03 +0000
From: fenrisulven at comcast.net
To: archers at atlantia.sca.org
Subject: [Archers] Xbow Griefing

Well met!  I hope you are all recovering from the Championship and resting your arm for Stierbach and then Pennsic.  It was a great tournament with a very tough field. Felt like every shooter in Atlantia was there!  Vivat to Miles for hosting such a challenging course, Vivat to Mors for taking the championship!

I want to address a minor issue, so bear with me please.  I'm concerned that, with all the jokes we make at the expense of Xbows, we are creating a perception across the Kingdom that xbows are easier to use and thus marginalizing their achievements and stealing a bit of their glory. I admit I'm one of the worst when it comes to this, and that I get immense pleasure from teasing Gregge at our practices (and I can almost outrun him now!)

But we all know its just an "inside joke".  I once made the mistake of assuming Mors wasn't a threat at an event because he was shooting recurve instead of crossbow - he proceeded to kick my butt all over the range. And yesterday, I felt like I really got the jump on Baron Siegfried and could have bested him if I hadn't got hung up on the snakes.  It wasn't his crossbow, it was that I missed 3 shots in an elimination round. I'm sure the rest of us have similar stories.

However, when the general populace hears us joking back and forth, they take it more seriously than us and get the wrong idea. Which is then repeated when they get back home. We are inadvertently contributing to a false account of our fellow archers. So maybe we should dial it back a bit when we are around non-archers?

Cheers
Fen

[yes, my wife had her xbow aimed at me while I wrote this...]
_______________________________________________ Archers mailing list Archers at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org http://seahorse.atlantia.sca.org/listinfo.cgi/archers-atlantia.sca.org