[Archers] Book Reveiw: THE GREAT WARBOW

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Thu Jul 14 11:34:06 PDT 2011

Noble friends,

I just picked up my copy of THE GREAT WARBOW, FROM HASTINGS TO THE MARY
ROSE by Matthew Strickland and Robert Hardy (Haynes Publishing Co., ISBN
9780857330901: 35 Pounds sterling, $57.95 US). As some of you noted,
this monster books is a reprint of the 2005 edition by Sutton. The book
is huge, at 538 pages and 26 x 23 cm.

I have only had a few minutes to skim through the text, but it appears
to be the most complete book yet on the history of English archery, a
fitting successor to Hardy's own LONGBOW, once considered the last word
on the subject. Likely the work in hand will be the definitive text for
years to come.

The text flows smoothly, a relief for such a broad and somewhat
technical subject. Not surprisingly, the book is chronological, and
covers the use of archery in almost every major English battle up to
1545. I was pleased to see that sections gave excellent accounts of
Scottish archers as well, detailing their employment by Robert the Bruce
during his campaigns. There is more information about Scots archery in
this book than I have been able to scrape together in four years of
reading. The book also discusses the French response to English archers
in good detail, including information on Charles VII's archery corps
(many of whom were Scots), and sections on archers in the Burgundian and
other armies. I noticed a view of the English mercenary Sir John
Hawkwood's famous funeral painting (he left money for an elaborately
carved tomb, but the Italians were satisfied with the painted study and
pocked the difference), so I suspect some archery in Italy is also
covered. No doubt I will find a lot more surprises as I start a serious
read of the book.

The whole book is lavishly illustrated with period engravings and
illuminations, plus many modern photographs, and nearly all the art is
in colour. Some famous illustrations have been used in previous books,
usually in black-and-white. Even so, the repeated material is a small
percentage of the staggering total. There are maps too, lots of them.

This books is a must-have for every SCA archer, even if it is the only
book on archery you ever buy. If you don't reenact an English persona,
the history, technical details, and images, will still keep you
interested for many pleasurable evenings. I strongly suggest you order
up a copy now, as this is the sort of book that isn't likely to be
reprinted again for many years.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Target Archery Marshal
(aka Garth Groff, Cataloger, UVA Library System)