[Archers] Congratulations!

Peter G sailor_tech at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 11:59:06 PDT 2010

I'm relatively new to the Society, but I'd think that when an event is planned,
the autocrat would be told, or know, that they need to get together with local
experts. If they want a feast, they need to talk to the person they expect to
actually cook the feast. If they want archery, then talk to the marshals that
are members of the barony.

I could see an autocrat class as an option, but I'd be hesitant to expect them
to actually remember / keep up with the various martial activity rules. Yes, a
very quick overview but the big admonition I'd think would be to check with
their local experts.

Yitzchak

________________________________
From: John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com

Having read the original, Janyn and Siegfried's responses to this I hessitate to
make a suggestion, but let's at least think it over a bit.  To become a
warranted marshal of any activity in the SCA, archery, heavy, light, equestrian,
the individual must attend a class and be a MIT for some events, number depends
upon activity, before they are issued a warrant.  Simply stated, they are a
CERTIFIED marshal of that activity.  This also applies to receiving a warrant
for exchequer and some other offices.  However, and to the best of my knowledge,
to be an autocrat one need only suffer from helium hand, i.e. volunteer.  Now I
am NOT a big fan for over regulating anything, I firmly believe good common
sense often trumps regulations, however, it is often prooved over and over that
common sense is NOT common.  Thus is it not time to require anyone desiring to
be an autocrat to pass through the same type of process an exchequer or marshal
has to pass through?  Archery range size and safety zones are only one of many
things an autocrat must take into cosideration in running a good, safe event.
To take this out of the realm of archery, does an autocrat know that they must
purchase additional insurance if equestrian is involved?  Do they double check
the equestrian field for holes in which a horse could stumble and possibly break
a leg?  And what about equestrian archery?  Now there's a REAL headache in the
waiting!  If we realize that the autocrat of an event is ultimately and
legally responsible for what happens at that event do they not assume the same
degree of "exposure" that all marshals and exchequers experience?  If Atlantia
had an autocrat warranting process we could easily include safety requirements
for all our activities.

cog