[Archers] Pennsic Teams

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 13:51:22 PDT 2010

I'm not exactly sure what criteria are used to select the few Atlantians who shoot on the Pennsic Champions Team.  I do assure you though, that this good ol girl is not in any way part of any good ol boy system.  Just so you know, last Pennsic I was asked to get a list of archers who were interested in competing. I posted that here and asked people to spread the word and get back to me if they wanted to compete.  I sent that list to Squirrel.  We were only given 8 spots.  By the time I got to the try-outs, three of those spots were pre-selected.  The archers Squirrel pre-selected were known to him as good archers.  That left us with 5 spots, a bunch of people who wanted to be on the team and a lot of frustration.

I don't know the politics involved with team creation and selection, but I suspect it is more than a case of who shot the best.  If I were selecting a team, I would want it to be well rounded.  Someone who shot really well at the clout station, someone else who shot well at the castle slot, a crossbow, a hand bow, etc.  I'd also look for people who are not going to piss off their team members, in other words; Team Players.  I'd want to select someone I knew was going to finish the course and not get too exhausted to complete the shoot.

I agree that it isn't worth getting our undies in a twist over.  Perhaps this novelty shoot will help sooth some of the perceptions people have of the Pennsic Archery experience.  Personally, I've always enjoyed shooting at Pennsic.  It is something different than we usually do at home and just the comradery of being on the line and seeing folks on the range you don't see enough of is worth the less than ideal shooting situations.

I second and third the ideas of transparency and no legacy and having an open competition.  You know...we'll be so busy running it, we'll not get to shoot it anyway.  Well, maybe we can find some time.