[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 85, Issue 43

Geoffrey Smith geoff_needwood at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:00:04 PDT 2010

Fellow archers,

If I may offer my perspective...The purpose of the shoot that Nuala is proposing is to allow the finest archers of all kingdoms to come together and compete against each other a very high level.  Pennsic already has a champions shoot within the confines of the war which as discussed here is limited for various reasons.  Pennsic also already has quite an extensive 4-day populace shoot that many people work quite hard at producing.  I can see no need to reinvent that wheel.

What Nuala is proposing aims to fill a void.  I, and I know others feel the same way, would like to have the same opportunity to participate competitively, at an inter-kingdom level at my skill level, just like heavy fighters, rapier fighters, and thrown weapons people do.  It is quite common for heavy and rapier fighters to have novelty contests outside of the context of the war.  It's considered normal and is accomplished fairly easily and painlessly.  The type of one day, limited scope novelty shoot, organized by and for shooters of a certain skill level (TBD by the numbers that can be accomodated), and not taking up space on the populace range, should be doable with a minimum of fuss.  If not, something is wrong with this picture.

I have thus far stayed out of this conversation in the belief that, more often than not, more opinions just complicates the discussion.  However, I would like to let it be known that I volunteer my time and effort with those of Nuala to set-up and tear down the range, planning, logistics, etc., whatever needs doing.  I would very much like to see this or something like it happen and hope that the discussion continues to move forward productively .

Geoffrey of Needwood ~