[Archers] New Archery Rule Change (drawings?)

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 08:02:12 PST 2010

My trigonometry is really rusty but these numbers were worked out by
another marshal obviously more adept at trig than I.  I pass them on for
consideration.

The rule:  At a minimum, each shootintg station will have a safety zone
that extends 30 degrees from each end of the shooting line to a line
even with the furthest target or 50 yards, whichever is closer...

Thus, taking a 30 degree tangent, 1 / 1.732 = 0.577, we can figure out
the size field for a single shooter.  Assuming the shooting station is 2
yards wide then at a 40 yard target, the clear width would be (2 * 40 /
0.577 ) + 2 = 140 yards wide.  Each additional shooter on the line would
add 2 yards to this width.  A 50 + yard clout shoot would require a
field 177 yards wide.