[Archers] New Archery Rule Change

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Wed Mar 3 05:18:06 PST 2010

On 3/3/10 12:36 AM, Esperanza wrote:
> I have received my March Acorn and the new rule was in it.

Thanks for the info, I don't have the March copy yet and the online
archive doesn't have March yet either.

> I also have alot concerns regarding this new rule.  I think Siegfried
> summed it up pretty well. Alot of sites that have been perfectly safe in
> the past are deemed unsafe now because they do not have 100 yards from
> the shooting line. Having visibility of that 100 yards is another
> concern, not all ranges are in a totally flat area.

Actually, check the rule closer.  It's not 100yds from the shooting
line, it's 100yds from the target.

Previously under "40yds or half to the target, whichever is greater": A
standard royal round range would need 80yds minimum cleared from the
shooting line.  40yds to the target, 40yds behind that.

Now, 140yds minimum needs clear from the shooting line.  40yds to the
target, 100yds behind that.

But again, in some ways this is a fuzzy point.  Noone would have setup a
RR range, especially with tall targets (versus ground-based), and had
ONLY 40yds behind marked as safety zone, and people standing exactly
40yds behind the target watching the shooting.  There is a difference
between "OMG arrows are definitely landing in this area" safety zone.
And "It's possible in a freak accident for somehow an arrow to end up
"here", therefore we aren't marking it off, but we will be keeping our
eyes open and obviously not shooting if someone somehow enters that area.

But training & common sense had dictated that you made sure that those
40yds were 100% clear, and that you had enough 'safety room' beyond
that, be it visible open room you can easily call hold if someone
entered but you weren't 'roping off'.  Be it shooting into a hillside.
Be it taking into account the nature of the shoot/etc.

Also note another range changes.

For a 5yd ground target only shoot:
Previously: 45yds clear
       Now: 105yds clear