[Archers] Tips was: Re: Safety advice on atal-atals andcrossbows

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 30 12:06:54 PDT 2010

Janyn poses an interesting question here.  I do not believe the
mechanics of an atlatl dart in flight are quite the same as an arrow.
Atlatl darts should flex in flight which, I've read, help to sustain the
energy put into them for flight.  As such I'm not sure the 10% FOC rule
would apply.  I have a 7 foot dart with a bodkin point on it (made by a
blacksmith friend).  I don't see that this dart flys any different that
my other darts with a standard archery field tip.  The bodkin dart is
heavier, thus does not fly as far, but hits about the same and with the
same degree of accuracy.

Still, the question remains an interesting one worth some
experimentation and research.  Oh yeah, this is a primitive weapon used,
mostly, before writing was invented.

cog