[Archers] Trying to make some sense...

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Sun Jul 18 19:35:28 PDT 2010

> Baron, then why don't we have a link to this "law" page and the rules?

The atlantian Target Archery page, which is under control of the DEM-TA,
does in fact exactly this.

Go here: http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/index.php

And you'll see a link to "Atlantian Target Archery Rules" which is
exactly a link to the Kingdom Policy Document.

>  Why
> does it seem to be a twist of some secret ring and a handshake to find them?
> I'm sorry if I sound condescending, not my intent but my frustration
> obviously shows.

Understood.  The potential problem here, is one of 'preaching to the
choir'.  The Kingdom Marshallate pages are not under our control, only
that the DEM-TA can provide input about them.

Also, it's a volunteer organization, and often those who volunteer the
most, end up being the ones with the least amount of time to do things,
and often therefore things fall down.

If people have concerns about the 'up-to-date' ness of the Kingdom
Marshal pages, I would suggest writing the Kingdom Earl Marshal and
stating what you would like to see changed.

(At the same time, if you have web design/programming knowledge,
volunteering to help with it, is an easy way to help make sure it happens)

>  As the torch is
> passed from DEM to DEM the information to our jobs should also be part of
> that passage, maybe Lorelei knows all of this already and I'm still a noob?
> I'll accept that, but I want to learn.

Not only should the torch be passed by DEM-TA to next, as I hope I
didn't fail too horribly at when I passed it on.

But more importantly, these are EXACTLY what should be taught in our
Marshal classes, not only for new marshals, but for the 2-year renewals
as well.

I make sure that every time I teach the marshal's class, (Unless a last
minute thing) that I have copies of Kingdom & SCA law that I hand out,
which have the URL's printed plainly on them, and I tell everyone where
to find said rules.

If that isn't happening at this point in time (which, it sounds like it
isn't, if you are a warranted marshal and yet don't know where to find
the rules) ... Then we, IMO, have a serious problem with our
training/classes that needs promptly addressed.

As knowing where to get/read the rules, is #1 importance, since so many
things fall from that.