[Archers] Tips was: Re: Safety advice on atal-atals andcrossbows

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu Jul 1 11:36:01 PDT 2010

Yes, I know.  I've been scouring the flint knapping web sites for some
time.  The hardest part was getting really good material to flint knap.
Now, as it turns out, my family is from Kahlifornia (Ahrnold way of
saying it) and own a cabin in Mammoth Mountain which is on the Eastern
side of the Siera Nevadas.  Mammoth Mountain is in fact an extinct
volcano and the place is loaded with obsideon.  That's where Devils Post
Pile is, if you've ever heard of that.  So my siter, who lives in Los
Angeles, has been sniping obsideon pieces for years and just happen to
have several suitable pieces in her rock goarden when we visited last
Christmas.  Guess where those pieces are now?  Yipper, NC.  Now I just
need to give it a try.

But along those lines, You Tube has a great video on how to flint knap
glass.  They start with how to remove the thick bottom of a bottle which
is what you use to flint knap.  That sounds very doable.  If the point
breaks now I have a reason to drink another beer!  "But honey, I'm just
repairing my atlatl darts."  Think she'll go for it?

cog