[Archers] Fwd: [SCA-SocietyArcherMarshal] Looking for ideas on how to do a particular shoot - anyone got suggestions?

Charles Oliff caergarchery at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 05:50:36 PDT 2010

I remember an event once (believe it was an Ice Axe) a number of years ago
that had a more realistic 'mounted shoot' that was pretty fun.   It
consisted of four posts in the ground holding a large barrel (think it was
one of the large plastic water barrels, but memory is fuzzy).  The barrel
was attached to the posts via bungie cords (or some sort of elastic cable).
once mounted, the barrel would bounce and sway - not badly, but enough to
require some balance.   The only problem I noticed with this design was that
heavier-set people would bottom out the barrel and thus not have the same
'mounted' experience - though this might be possible to mitigate by using
heavier duty cords - experimentation needed.

It was quite a different experience shooting and, now that I've been
reminded of it, I'll have to remember to try seeing if I can do something
like it for our next event....