[Archers] Dropped arrows rule

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Fri Aug 27 06:58:12 PDT 2010

Lady Lorelei and friends,

I've been looking for a rule concerning dropped arrows on the shooting
line, and haven't found anything. On our range, a dropped arrow always
counted as a shot, or maybe I'm going back 30 years to college rules. I
was corrected by the MIC last spring at a tournament when I told a
shooter to leave the arrow and count it as a miss. So what is the
kingdom rule on this?

Whether the archer is allowed another shot, or has to count a dropped
arrow, is a separate issue from whether they should stoop over to pick
it up. I contend they should let it lay as it is until bows go down,
since stooping over to pick up the arrow could cost them a poke in the
eye if the person next to them is nocking. Yes, it might get stepped on,
but that is a smaller concern than safety of the line.And there is no
question that an arrow beyond the line says put until "Bows down" is called.

Lady Lorelei, should this become an addition to our safety rules at the
next update?

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Target Archery Marshal