[Archers] Age restrictions on the archery range

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 10:52:01 PDT 2010

 Greetings friends,

I've had the question come up in the past, and just again today, about age restrictions on the archery range. A mom had her 14 year old son turned away from the range because she was not with him.  I know this youth, and he is a fair archer and a responsible youth.  I have never been able to find in our rules/laws where it stated an age for the archery range.

My own rule of thumb has been, if you are over about 12 and you have shown to know the safety rules, and you are responsible, you don't need your parent sitting there while you shoot.  I believe at Pennsic war it was 14 years old, but I'm not positive.  I've always thought it was up to the Range Marshal, or MIC.  Is there a hard and fast rule about this that I have just over looked?

On one hand, I don't appreciate parents who use the archery range as a babysitting area, on the other hand, I want the teens to be active in archery without their parents babysitting them.  If a teen is NOT being responsible, I have no problem tossing them off, and telling them they need to have an adult with them.

Thoughts? Comments?

Many thanks,
Lady Lorelei