[Archers] Fletchers' guild trial balloon redux

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 5 10:07:37 PDT 2010

Noble Friends of the Arrow,

Thank you for all your comments over the weekend regarding the proposed
fletchers' guild.

The general gist of what most people said was that they would prefer to
have an informal group without rules, officers, charter or any other
complications. No problem. I am not enamored of all that sort of stuff
myself. I think we should even steer clear of calling it a "guild".
"Fletchers of Atlantia" might work better. Any other ideas?

My talking points for goals were too grandiose, especially ideas about
formal recognition. Therefore, I suggest we limit our goals to something
like "Promoting fletching and fellowship among fletchers by sharing
ideas, teaching classes, and showing our work through A&S competitions."
Any of you are welcome to comment on that.

Almost everyone who addressed the forum for the group's discussing the
group's activities requested that we remain here on the archer's board.
O.K., subject to approval by the list administrator. I have put out a
request to the administrator, and I will ask if this will be allowed.
Certainly best to ask.

Several people asked that we have an informal gathering. I'm all for
that. Lady Sarah (also a fletcher) and I plan to participate in the
Atlantian Royal Archer Competition of 8 May. I will ask the autocrat for
permission to set up a table or something like that where we can meet
and show off our work during lunchtime. Shouldn't be a problem, but
again, best to ask first.

Nobody has said anything about an archery track for the June University.
Does anyone here plan to offer a class in arrow building, track or
otherwise? (I am already proposed to teach a class on building Highland
targes, so I can't teach, but will do a basic class again at the next
university we attend.)

I welcome your further comments, here on this board or direct to me.

At your service, and the service of Atlantian archery,

Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Archery Marshal