[Archers] Sponsored Shoot at Pennsic

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 14:45:32 PST 2008

First off I really like the idea that Atlantia is willing to lead the
way in this effort.  As for the shoot, Pennsic has the Masters Shoot for
which many aspire to and are seriously bummed if they don't make a team.
It IS the elitist shoot.  I'm thinking this proposal was to create a
populace shoot.  Thus if we leave it to the archers to form three person
teams then it would work.  I would add but one caviot to the "leave it
to them" suggestion.  Limit the number of times each archer can be a
member of a shooting team.  Thus Joey Shootemstraight only gets to be a
member of one team and thus shoot the challenge only once.  That would
prevent a sharp shooter like Seamus from being on every team (not that
Seamus would do that!).

If I may make one suggestion here and that would pertain to some shoots
but perhaps not all.  At SAAD one thing I tried very hard to do was
create an atmosphere where every archer stood the chance to win.  Thus
one station, known only to me the MIC, was a qualifier station.  Your
score there determined which class you would be in.  Of course your
score at that station also entered into your overall score for the day.
But it created the ability for novice archers to compete against novice
archers while seasoned archers competed against seasoned archers.  That
way everyone stood a chance of winning something.  I came upon this idea
when I heard some archers once say at a shoot "Oh why bother, that
person is here".  I think everyone should have a chance to win.  But
like I said a multiple station shoot is required to make something like
this work and that may not be the type of shoot others have in mind.
Just something to think about.

cog