[Archers] Unevent Archery Marshal's meeting notes

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Fri Dec 7 06:10:06 PST 2007

To all Atlantian Target Archery Marshals who may not have made it to
Unevent for the meeting, here are notes about what was discussed in that
meeting.

First an introduction.  I am HL Christophe of Grey who has assumed the
position of Deputy Earl Marshal for Target Archery Atlantia from
Siegfried after his gracious and productive term in this office.  He has
moved on to become the DEM for combat archery.  Allen of Wolfhou has
graciously conceded to stay on as my deputy.  Please feel free to
contact me regarding all things archery at my email address
cogworks at triad.rr.com or through the Atlantian archery pages.

Atlatl - All Atlantian Target Archery marshals are, by default, atlatl
marshals.  We reviewed and discussed the proposed rules for atlatl
activity in Atlantia.  These proposed rules will be posted to the
Atlantian archery web site in the very near future.  I welcome any and
all comments regarding these rules.  The bottom line is target archery
marshals should become familiar with this weapon form.  However, whether
or not this activity occurs at an event is completely at the descretion
of the MIC for target archery.  If you are not comfortable with the
activity it does not happen.  If you are comfortable it can happen.  The
archery database now has a section for recording atlatl scores.

Seasonal Challenge - The seasonal challenges will last for one quarter.
I will design the first one to begin in January of 2008.  Allen of
Wolfhou, my deputy, will design the second quarter 2008 shoot.  From
that point on the regional marshals will design the shoots on a rotating
basis.  That is, the SC marshal will not be designing the seasonal shoot
for the fourth quarter of each year.  The reason for this is to permit
more participation in seasonal shoot designs and to encourage
participation in the seasonal shoots and archery in general.  There was
a discussion of considering when and where the shoot will/could occur.
i.e. if designing a shoot for winter months please consider that
Atlantian archers living in the north of the kingdom shoot indoors and
would most likely not be able to do a shoot requiring a 40 yard
distance.

Marshal scoring - For me this has been a topic of discussion for some
time and I harranged Siegfried about it for a while.  This is not in the
official Atlantian archery rules and never will be.  It is simply a
request.  As marshals and in this society we are honor bound.  Therefore
I ask that a marshal's scores be witnessed by another marshal shooting
on that same day.  That is, if a a marshal is shooting a Royal Round
they allow another marshal also shooting on that day to count or witness
their score.  The MIC can still be the one recording the score and
entering it into the Atlantian Royal Round db.  If no other marshal is
in attendance, then it is prefered that two other non-marshal archers
participating in the shoot verify the marshal's score.  My attempt here
is to avoid having a marshal shoot on their home range by themselfs and
get remarkable scores.  Again, I stress this is not official, it is
merely a request to keep all Atlantian archery marshals above reproach.

Regional Marshals - Any current Regional Marshal who would like to step
down, pleasse contact me and please have some suggested replacements in
mind.  I would also ask regional marshals to inform me of any archer in
their area who is due an archery badge.  The list I get of badges due is
often out of date and the badges are important to many archers.  Keep in
mind that as the qualification rank increases the badges need to be
awarded by higher level royalty, i.e. barons/baroness, king/queen.

Reports - It is very important that any archery marshal acting as MIC at
an event submit an event report to me and their Regional Marshal.
Regional marshals need to submit quarterly reports of archery activity
in their areas.  Archery marshals who may be the head marshal for their
group, i.e. baronial archery marshal, should submit monthly reports of
archery activity.  Report forms are on the Atlantian archery web site or
you can send reports directly to me at my email addy.  Please send
reports even if no activity has occured, i.e. Barony of the Broken Leg -
no archery activity, too much snow!  Please include your SCA and mundane
name and the name of the group/event you are reporting on.  If an event,
please include the date of the event.

Gulf Wars GET shoot - For those attending Gulf Wars in 2008 there will
be a Grand Exhibition Tourny.  The top 10 archers registering at GW and
qualifying will be shooting.  These archers will be determined by the
following criteria: 20% total number of IKAC scores submitted; 20%
archer's highest submitted IKAC score; 60% archer's average IKAC score
during the qualification period (Oct 2007 - Mar 2008).  Each and every
archer will be heralded on the field by a herald of thier choice or one
appointed to them.  The herald will be heralding the archer's
qualifications and merits for participating in the shoot.  Think A
Knight's Tale!  There will be a special prize for the best archer and
herald team.  This shoot has been designed to promote archery and IKACs
and will be held in front of the fort for the populace.  Typically the
IKAC db comes down during this qualification time period but its
owner/maintainer will keep the scores to determine qualification for
this shoot.  So if you are going to GW next year and want to
participate, get out and shoot some IKACs and submit your scores.  IKAC
information on this link http://detommaso.org/ikac/ .

HLChristophe of Grey
aka cog