[Archers] To Marshals: A way to get your missing scores back - QUICK

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Wed Oct 4 19:27:29 PDT 2006

To all marshals ... It's totally official that those 4 months of scores
are GONE GONE GONE.  We are going to a triple backup system to ensure
this won't happen in the future.

HOWEVER, I've discovered a way for you to retrieve, potentially, some of
the missing scores if you don't have hardcopy records.

Google Cache.

Google as you may know, as it browses webpages will keep a cached
version of this.   This can allow you, potentially, to find cached
copies of the archers 'individual page' during that timeframe, and find
some of those missing scores.

It's hit-or-miss but worth trying.

I've gone in and managed to retrieve data for 4 Highland Foorde archers.

Here is the directions:

* Go to Google  (http://google.com/)

* Either search for a specific person, by entering a string such as:
site:archery.atlantia.sca.org Siegfried

* Or search for the name of an Event or Practice that you know that you
ran, such as:
site:archery.atlantia.sca.org "Highland River Melees"
or
site:archery.atlantia.sca.org "HF Archery Practice"

Then, start going down the list, and clicking NOT on the main link, but
the one at the end of each listing that says:  "Cached" ... eventually
you will hopefully get lucky, and find an individual archer's
information page that you can save/print/etc.   Many that I were seeing
were in the August 29th range.

Siegfried

FYI - I considered trying to download them ALL, but there are tons of
them.  At the same time, I would not know if another marshal was
reentering the scores from their own records as well, and we would get
double-scores.   The best solution is for all marshals to do searches
like this to find scores that they had previously entered, and to
reenter them.

GOOD HUNTING!