[Archers] re. new bow classifications

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Tue Jan 25 08:04:14 PST 2005

> If a Bow qualifies as a Period Handbow...and IS a longbow...would that
> not allow it to be used in the longbow competitions also?

The idea would be ... no.

If it's a period handbow, then it's a period handbow.

Especially since, unlike the IKAC or other competitions, the targets
aren't changing, it's the exact same shoot.  Why would it matter to
shoot one Royal Round and say: "Yup, that's my Longbow Round" ... then
shoot again with the exact same equipment and say "Yup, that's my Period
Round"

That's not the idea, the idea is to recognize the fact that you scored
said score, using a Period Handbow.  Why, if you had a period handbow,
would you want the score to show up in the category of Longbow,
alongside all the modern laminate longbows?

Also, do realize that this classification scheme ONLY officially applies
to Royal Rounds, shot in Atlantia.  That's it.

If a local marshal wants to make a competition at an event, and use
their own classifications (such as saying 'longbow' and it including
them all), that's perfectly fine.  This is just for the Royal Rounds.