[Archers] Rules, Royals, Regionals, & Reasoning

Siegfried Sebastian Faust crossbow at freeshell.org
Mon Jan 12 19:20:37 PST 2004

Greetings ...

I have a few topics I need to touch on for the new year here, and will boil
them all into one big email.   Bear with me please.

1) Rules (Modern Items)

         For those at Unevent, or those that have heard the word since, it
was announced by the Earl Marshal that the 'mundane items ban' that is
being put upon the battlefield, also applied to Target Archery.  Not only
meaning no Tennis Shoes on the archery line, but having potential major
repercussions throughout our equipment, targets, etc.

         For now, I wish to state that this ruling is 'under discussion',
and that at this point in time, consider the rule NOT ENFORCED until you
hear differently from me.  Of course, we should always encourage folks to
be more period in their attire/equipment.

         PLEASE do NOT email me in regards to this ruling at this
time.  Again, realize that it is NOT BEING ENFORCED at this point in
time.  When I have more information to give you, one way or another, you
all will be the first to hear at the same time.

2) Royals

         As per my previous email with a list of possible changes to the
rules, and given comments received, the current set of Royal Round rules,
basically stating 'as they have been followed', are now online, and as far
as I am concerned, 'in effect'.   You may find them here:
http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/ranking_rules.html

3) Regionals (Deputy Marshals that is)

         I have been discussing with the current regional marshals (those
that I could get ahold of), and a decision has been made to reduce the
number of regional marshals.   There are now only 4 Regional Marshal slots,
Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina/Georgia.  While I am
sure that all the current regional marshals had been doing a wonderful job,
there were almost too many to keep track of.  Unfortunately, this does mean
less positions to fill, and therefore people had to be 'let go'.  Trust me
that if you were a regional marshal, and now aren't, it has nothing to do
with your abilities.  Simply that I felt you were busy enough, or someone
else seemed more 'eager' for the position.

         The regional marshals can be found here:
http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/regionals.html

         Note that currently I am missing a South Carolina Marshal.  I was
unable to contact any of the South Carolina Regional Marshals to get
confirmation if they were interested in keeping the job.

         Please, if you are from South Carolina/Georgia, and are willing to
take on the position, please contact me privately.

4) Reasoning (Ok, it was the best 'R' word I could find for 'teaching')

         Given the reduction in regional marshals, I felt it necessary to
institute another class of marshals (just like many other disciplines do),
who are non-deputy marshals that are authorized to teach the Marshalling
classes.  This list was formed by scanning the current list of authorized
TA Marshals, and pulling out those names of marshals that I know have
taught the class before, and are currently active in archery/marshalling.

         The list can be found: http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/teaching.html

         If you are on this list, and do not think that you are
'up-to-date' enough to teach the classes, then please let me know and I
will remove you.   If you are NOT on this list, and feel you should be,
then please contact me and we will discuss it.   Realize that I do wish to
keep this list 'smallish', having perhaps 4-5 people per state who are
authorized to teach.  I don't want every marshal also listed as a teaching
marshal.  I will need to ensure that all these marshals know of any/all
rules changes.

         Also note, that again South Carolina/Georgia is VACANT of teaching
marshals.   I need you!  We need to have at least 1 regional in the area
(who would also be authorized to teach), and I would like at least 1 more
regional.   Also, North Carolina is 'light' right now.  If you are from
either area, and are interested, please contact me!

Thank you for your time,

THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust                         http://crossbows.biz/
Barony of Highland Foorde           Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
Kingdom of Atlantia          Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/   http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/