[Archers] Draft of Archery Rules

Peter & Janie Darby pjdarby at erols.com
Tue Apr 30 18:16:06 PDT 2002

Before I reply to the questions.  Could someone remove one of my e-mail addresses.  It is very annoying to get 68 messages when only 34 are original.

I practice and/or follow archery in several camps FITA, SCA, Hunting, 3D, and NFAA.  I find one of the universal truths to be that whenever there are rules there will be people who don't agree with them as well as people who try to skirt the edges to give themselves some sort of advantage.  And of course it is human nature to believe that whatever opinion we hold is the right one and whatever experiences we use
to base our opinions on are the only experiences that could possibly bear on the solution and any opinion that differs is a personal attack.
HANDSTRAP:
I could care less whether the hand strap is used or not. If we want to make it optional then that is fine.   However, since there seems to be a move to possibly require it as a safety device, I will offer my own opinion on the safety aspect.  A light grip on the bow is normally something that will increase your accuracy.   And the strap allows you to keep a light grip without detracting from your concentration
on the spot your trying to hit.  I can't imagine it being a safety device.  I know that if you take one of those indestructible fibreglass bows( I'm not doing it with an expensive bow), come to full draw with an arrow pointing at the target and before you release open your bow hand.  Upon release you will see that the arrow goes down range toward the target followed soon after by the bow. If no one is standing
downrange of the archer then the only thing that will happen is that the bow may break when it hits the ground in front of the archer..

ROYAL ROUND AVERAGE:
I believe that the MIT should obtain a royal round average to become a marshall.  It doesn't say that they must have any particular average or even that it must be maintained.  It does however mean that the person is interested enough in SCA archery to play the game.  Atlantia is trying to build up its archery.  Here in the North it has a good toehold.  In the south it doesn't seem to be doing well.  Only by
having committed, target Archery Marshals who can make archery interesting and fun will we be able to build a strong archery program in Atlantia. Part of that commitment is a willingness to play the games we play even if it might not be your cup of tea.  I don't include the winter series because many areas don't have indoor areas where they can shoot it.  But if everyone did then I would say an MIT should
probably have a winter series score also. But it woldn't have to be a high average.