[Archers] Draft of Archery Rules

SPSampson at aol.com SPSampson at aol.com
Tue Apr 30 06:27:29 PDT 2002

Greetings to the List,

As requested, I shall throw my 2-cents into the debate, and hopefully help us all to clarify the rules in question.  Number one: hand straps.  My feeling is this: unless you have a medical condition that restricts you from properly holding the bow, they should not be allowed.  Certain circumstances (arthritis, etc.) should allow for the archer to use them on a case by case basis.  But in our history that we recreate, how many of the archers used this.  Were they on the field at Crecy and Agincourt?  Did the horse archers on the Steppes use them?  I doubt it, but I'm not getting into an A&S research situation here.  I shoot crossbow mostly as most of you know, but when I pull out the recurve, I handle it well and have a touch of arthritis.  If I ever feel that I am unsafe at the line or can not control my bow's actions, for the safety of all, including myself, I will pull myself from the line.  I've done this before due to bolt issues.  Safety is the primary concern, teaching proper and safe shooting techniques while keeping it enjoyable to the archer is secondary.

RR Requirements:  Personally, I enjoy RR's.  It is a consistent gauge of how I'm improving (or not, as the case may be!)  I like to compete against myself, and a static challenge like the 20,30,40 and timed round gives me a consistent field of play so I know what my strengths are, and what ranges I have to work with.  Yes in battles, there were no "sitting duck" targets that couldn't attempt to avoid the shaft, but remember it was required in England that everyone practice at the butts, in sense a static target not unlike our RR's.  I love the challenge of roving ranges, moving targets, and other novelty shoots.  But I refine my ability on the static targets of the RR.  I know when I started, it was very helpful to have a known benchmark so I could learn how to shoot.

That's my 2 cents on the topics.

In Service,

Eoghan O'Ruadhain