[Atlantia-Announce] Information to include in award recommendations

Tannis Baldwin tirydon at cox.net
Tue Sep 6 08:21:13 PDT 2022

Mistress Tannis of Tir-y-Don, Royal Secretary to Prince Abran and Princess
Anya, sends greetings to all gentles reading this missive.

Their Royal Highnesses appreciate the tradition of surprising award
recipients but they are well aware that some gentles prefer advance notice
that they will be asked to appear in court.  To this end they ask for the
populace's assistance in determining which approach works best for each
person.

 First, everyone please have honest conversations with your friends,
household, your Baron and Baroness, etc. about your comfort level with
surprises or knowing in advance.  Either option can be very stressful for
some people.  Let the people around you have the knowledge that will make
Court a good experience for everyone.

 Second, if you are writing a recommendation for someone and you know their
preference, please put it in capital letters at the top of the
recommendation.  Help the Crown be kind to those they wish to honor.   If
you don't know their preference but have a way for me to contact someone
close to them, please put that information in capital letters at the top of
the recommendation.  Examples:  LORD X PREFERS ADVANCE NOTICE or CONTACT HER
PEER, COUNTESS Y, FOR PREFERENCES at email at address.com or phone number.

 Third, to the High Orders of Merit and Peerages, please make sure everyone
on your Watch list has a Point of Contact and the Principal of the Order has
a way to contact them.  That information allows me to help the Crown
schedule honors with the appropriate level of surprise or advance warning
for each candidate.

 Lastly, everyone, please check your Order of Precedence entry and make sure
that it reflects the correct home group.  This will allow me to contact the
Baron and Baroness or Seneschal of the proper group if I am trying to find
out information about a candidate, especially for non-polling Orders/Awards.
(https://op.atlantia.sca.org/  )

 Their Highnesses plan to surprise where appropriate and desired but if a
preference cannot be ascertained then the name will be included on published
lists requesting gentles to contact me to schedule court time at an event.

In service to Atlantia,

Tannis

6th day of September, AS LVII (2022)