[Atlantia-Announce] Online Poeta Atlantiae Competition

Alix Evans alix.evans at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:10:30 PDT 2020

Greetings poets of Atlantia,

It is my great honor to announce the online Poeta Atlantiae competition.
At Ruby Joust, we were to have held a grand competition to aid Their Royal
Majesties in selecting my successor, the next Poeta Atlantiae.  Though
plague and pestilence keep us apart, it shall not silence our pens or our
voices.  Pray, poets - come to the aid of your kingdom and vie for the
honor of serving as the next Poeta Atlantiae!

The guidelines for entry poems remain the same as previously announced.
Full details are spelled out below, but for people who had been preparing
to enter in person at Ruby Joust, here are the key changes to the format:

1)  Poems should be entered using this entry form (
https://forms.gle/txXL59AYpHT9A2256) NO LATER THAN 5:00pm EDT on Tuesday,
May 19, so that judging can be finished before Memorial Day weekend.
2)  In addition to your poems and documentation, poets should submit video
of them reading their poems aloud in garb.  Because we miss your faces!
3)  Entries will be featured on social media and on Virtual Atlantia during
the run-up to Memorial Day weekend to entertain and inspire the populace.
4)  If you have ANY problems submitting your poems or taking video, please
reach out to me at poeta at atlantia.sca.org.  We'll make it work!

Here are the full details of the competition:
Poetry is more than just clever word-play - it moves something inside of
us, causing even long-dormant emotions to stir to life. Your task in this
competition is simple: cause us to feel the breadth and depth of human
emotion.

To enter, poets must enter two poems using this entry form no later than
5:00pm EDT on Tuesday, May 19. Poems should meet the following criteria:

Comedy: One poem must evoke joy, levity, or mirth. It need not be humorous,
although it certainly could be. But it must explore the highs of human
emotion.

Tragedy: One poem must evoke sadness, anger, or grief. It must explore the
lows of human emotion.

Both poems must be written in forms that existed prior to 1600 CE.

Documentation is required, but need not be terribly long. At a minimum,
your documentation should identify the forms used in your poetry. If your
documentation will exceed 4 pages, please provide the main points up front
in bullet-point form, noting on which page judges can find details for each
point. You may find it helpful to look at the EZDoc form (
http://www.larsdatter.com/ezdoc/basic.pdf) and the judging sheet (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lo6wLP14TNUowot1LCzxYRhWGJfO_eyRqFcoYD_Bw-M/edit?usp=sharing
)

Poets should also submit videos of themselves reading their poems aloud in
garb.

Special consideration will be given to the emotional impact of the pieces.
The next Poeta Atlantiae, will be chosen by Their Majesties, or their
representatives, with the advice of the judges. Judges will use this
judging sheet (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lo6wLP14TNUowot1LCzxYRhWGJfO_eyRqFcoYD_Bw-M/edit?usp=sharing
).

If you have any trouble at all using the entry form, please reach out to
poeta at atlantia.sca.org.

One final note: Poeta Atlantiae is more than just an honor, it is a job.
Before you enter, please review the duties of the Poeta Atlantiae, to be
sure it’s a role you can take on. It’s super fun, and not burdensome, but
just...be sure. You can review the duties of Poeta Atlantiae here:
http://www.poeta.atlantia.sca.org/duties.php

Yours in verse,

Lady Iselda de Narbonne
Poeta Atlantiae...for now!  :-)