[Atlantia-Announce] Scribal Show-Em-Whatcha-Got Now through June

Kit Wellner via Announce announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Nov 23 09:28:40 PST 2016

Fellow scribes,

As a patron as well as practitioner of our art I am sponsoring a series of competitions over the coming months.  Please cross-post this list as you will and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

December 10 - At Yule Toy Tourney in Nottinghill Coill there will be a populace choice competition for children and youth blanks in both kingdom and baronial categories.  Please note the site change due to the wildfires in the mountains.  Check the event flyer for full details.

January 14 - At Twelfth Night in Sacred Stone there will be a coat-of-arms/armorial display competition.  Choose a persona and display his/her arms in a fashion popular for their period.  Examples for quick reference are available at https://es.pinterest.com/hippopotamama/atlantian-12th-night-scribal-competition-examples/.  Atlantian Illumination judging standard will be used.  Prizes in Novice (under 2 years) and Accomplished categories will be awarded.

February 25 - At the Tourney of Ymir in Windmasters' Hill there will be a Very Varangian competition.  Works should be Byzantine/Varangian in source or inspiration.  Look to the Skylitzes Manuscript for ideas and inspiration as it is filled with miniatures of the Varangian guard warring on behalf of the Emperor.  These scrolls should be kingdom blanks and Atlantian Illumination judging standard will be used.  Prizes in Novice (under 2 years) and Accomplished categories will be awarded.
There has been a change in March!  Due to space constraints there will NOT be a novice display at KASF. Instead ... I am sponsoring two competitions in April!
April 8 - Show the breadth and depth of your artistic talent at Rose Carnivale at Silverleaf Estate with a blank for our great kingdom rendered in "Squashed Bug" style.  This is the realistic style also called trompe l'oeil or "fool the eye."  I have set up a Pinterest board of exemplars at https://es.pinterest.com/hippopotamama/squashed-bug-cause-michel-guilted-me-into-it/ for inspiration. Atlantian Illumination judging standards will be used but special consideration will be given to scrolls that incorporate roses in the motif.  Prizes in Best Overall and Roses' choice will be awarded.
April 29 - I am sponsoring a Russian-themed blank competition with both kingdom and baronial categories receiving prizes at Coastal Raids II in Ravens Cove.   I have created a Pinterest board for inspiration at https://es.pinterest.com/hippopotamama/coastal-raids-scribal-competition/ for Byzantine/Armenian/Rus/Russian illumination.  Atlantian Illumination judging standard will be used.  Prizes in baronial and kingdom categories will be awarded.
May 13 - Return to Camelot  in Windmasters' Hill, sponsored by Ravens Cove, provides a materials competition:  Create your own ink using a period or modern recipe.  Use the exemplar of the Winchester Manuscript of Le Morte d'Arthur in the British Library for your test sampler.  Two-three lines will suffice.  Also provide a sample bottle, pens, and paper for judges to test.  Documentation including recipe required.  Extra consideration given to period recipes.  Atlantian Material Production judging specifications will be used. One overall winner will be awarded.
June 17 - Return to Crecy IV in Sacred Stone offers the opportunity to create a blank with a detailed miniature or other motif inspired by the work of Jean Froissart.  More details to come as the event date approaches.  A Pinterest board is being built at https://es.pinterest.com/hippopotamama/jean-froissart-the-hundred-years-war/ for you to find inspiration and exemplars.

Baruna Sajah bint-Habushun ibn-Ishandiyar al-Hajjaji
Scribe & Patron of Scribal Art, Woman Who Makes Paints, MoL & Marshal, and unofficial Atlantian Minister of Hugs