[Atlantia-Announce] Reminder about creative scroll competition at Ymir

Kit Wellner via Announce announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Thu Feb 4 08:48:11 PST 2016

Greetings Fair Kingdom!
I am resending this reminder that I am sponsoring an unusual backlog scribal competition at Ymir, open to all artisans – including those who do not consider themselves scribes!  There will be two categories, one for traditional scribal materials and formats  such as paper/parchment/vellum/bristol/etc. and paints/inks, and another for non-traditional materials which can include but is not limited to wood, stone, leather, stained glass, and fiber arts.  Have a friend who is an archer? Do calligraphy on an arrow! A cook? Embroider an apron!  Think outside the box, embrace your inner Viking, and carve/stamp/burn/embroider a work of art for your friend!  Paint or ink on a non-traditional surface is acceptable for this category as is carving, embossing, embroidery, or other form of recording wording/decorative art for a “scroll.”  Both categories will be held to the same expectations of content:1.   Exemplars/design/inspiration must be pre-1100 to honor the Viking theme of the event2.   The scroll must be assigned by the backlog deputy in the Clerk Signet’s office. The backlog deputy, Lord Conor mac Lellan,  can be contacted via phone: 937-508-1844 (no calls after 9pm) or email:  backlog_deputy at scribe.atlantia.sca.org.3.  Minimal documentation is required, additional documentation will be weighed in the judging.  EX Doc is acceptable and can be found athttp://larsdatter.com/ezdoc/.4. Judging criteria for calligraphy can be found at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/judging/callig.pdf and for illumination at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/judging/illum.pdf.If you are an inexperienced scribe but interested in participating in either areas of this competition please contact me privately via email: hippopotamama at hotmail.com.  I will gladly help explain what is required and how to set it up on your surface.  If you would prefer to “go it alone” please find the information to assist you in the Atlantian Scribal Handbook:    http://scribe.atlantia.sca.org/resources/ASHandbook2008.pdf.  Know that there is certain latitude afforded in this competition regarding the parameters in the scribal handbook.  Some elements may be difficult to render.  If you are concerned about meeting the expectations/requirements for a kingdom scroll please contact me and we can discuss it and problem-solve!  Now GO! Be creative!

Alssayidat Sharifa Sajah bint-Habushun ibn-Ishandiyar al-Hajjaji
Traveling MoL, Education  & Novice Scribe Deputy to the Clerk Signet, Woman Who Makes Paints, and unofficial Atlantian Minister of Hugs