[Atlantia-Announce] Greetings from the Poeta Atlantiae

Katherine Hawkins via Announce announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Apr 15 11:29:36 PDT 2015

Greetings Atlantia,
My name is Katarzyna Witkowska and I am privileged to serve as the new Poeta Atlantiae for the next year.  I wanted to let you know about some upcoming events and competitions.
June University:  I will be teaching "An Introduction to Medieval Poetry" for the Pages Academy and any other individuals who would like to participate.  We will learn about several styles and attempt to write a poem in one of those styles.
Storvik Novice Tournament:  I will be sponsoring a competition entitled "Threads of Gold"in honor of the SCA's 50th Anniversary.  Your "threads" maybe woven in any manner you choose.  Requirements are as follows:  Poems may be written in any period style or language (translationsmust be provided).  Documentation is required but may be as little as onepage but shall be no more than three (3) pages (bibliographies and portions ofperiod poem examples do not count toward these three pages).  Only one entry per person will beaccepted.  This is a non-performance competition.  Your written wordsalone speak for your poetic prowess.  As a novice poet you must have been writingfor less than one year.  Entries will be judged on the following:  use ofperiod imagery, use ofperiod style and convention, complexityof the piece, writtendocumentation, poem'sadherence to theme topic (i.e., Threads of Gold), overalljudges' impression.  Please note the theme for this competition is the same as the Knowne WorldPoetry Competition so your entry may be submitted in that event as well.  The commentary will give you a chance to“spruce up” your work.
Knowne World Poetry Competition and Poetry Day at Pennsic:  Since this is a long announcement, I will forward it separately.
At future events, I also hope to sponsor Poetry Roundtables so that those of us who are reluctant can share their poetry and ask questions.
These are just a few of the things that are in the works.  In a few days, you should be able to find more information on the Poeta Atlantiae Website.
I am excited about helping Poetry to grow in Atlantia and look forward to working with many of you.
Yours in service,
Katarzyna    "Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history." ~Plato, Ion